As contemporary cities grow, a global concern is how to manage agricultural land and resources for urban development. With social, economic, and environmental implications, this topic is of particular concern in India, where cities are rapidly expanding due to the country's already massive population growth. Pune city is a major education and IT hub, and its growth has a significant impact on the peri-urban area. This paper attempts to address the gap by studying both physical and social implications of agricultural land loss in the peri-urban area of Pune. The study employs a qualitative research design, relying on an ethnographic approach, with a mix of GIS mapping, direct observation and semi-structured interviews with peri-urban residents, and meetings with key informants. The results show that although agricultural land loss due to urban growth has been gradual in the past, it’s expected to rise in the future as the populations grow. The research also looks into investigating the possibility of reorienting urban growth trajectories in an agriculture cohesive direction. The author proposes that effective land use management strategies are essential for preserving prime agricultural land.
Urbanisation, Urban sprawl, Farmland loss, Peri-urban, Integrated
Full TextDownload PDF
- 1. Squareyards.com. (2017). Bhugaon becomes Major Hotspot in Pune. Retrieved on 22 August 2018 from: https://www.squar-eyards.com/blog/bhugaon-be-comes-major-hotspot-in-pune
- 2. Dutta, V. (2012). Land Use Dynamics and Peri-urban Growth Characteristics: Reflections on Master Plan and Urban Suitabili-ty from a Sprawling North Indian City. Environment and Urbaniza-tion Asia, 277-301.
- 3. Isalm, M.R. (2013). Causes and Cconsequences of Agricultural Land Losses of Rajshahi District, Bangladesh. IOSR Journal Of Environmental Science, 58-65.
- 4. Khare, Ujjwala, P.T. (2016). Urban Sprawl: A Temporal Study of the Impact of the IT Parks in Pune using Remote Sensing. Transactions of the Institute of Indian Geographers, 25-38.
- 5. Koul, R. (2017). Indiaâ€™s Shrinking Agriculture Space: Can we turn it around? Retrieved on 18 August 2018 From:https://www.biovoicenews.com/indias-shrinking-agricul-ture-space-can-turn-around/