Mithila art is the traditional wall decoration art form originating from the centuries-old Mithila kingdom. It consists of vivid colours, repeating patterns, exaggerated side profiles, floral patterns, birds, animals and other mythological figures. The aim of this paper is to find out the percentage and hues of colours used in different types of Mithila paintings to understand its colour analogy – composition and variation of hues. The paper also includes information about different types of Mithila painting, their elements and the various sources of organic colours used. The Hex colour code has been identified using Photoshop. The GIMP tool is used for calculating the percentage of colours in paintings. The study shows that Mithila paintings uses more of bright colours where primary colours are comparatively more than the amount of secondary colours and have a balanced use of cool, warm and natural colours.
Mithila paintings, Primary Colours, Secondary Colours, Colour Analogy.
Full TextDownload PDF
- 1. Aishwarya. (2021, June 9). Types of Madhubani Painting. Retrieved 2021, from authindia. com: https://authindia.com/ types-of-madhubani painting.
- 2. ASI. (1906). Annual Report, 1903-04. Calcutta: Archaeologi-cal Survey of India, Office of the Superintendent of Government Printing, India.
- 3. Hamilton, W. (1820). A Geographical, Statistical, and His-torical Description of Hindostan,and the Adjacent Counties Volume 1. Oxford: Oxford University.
- 4. ICH Bihar. (2020, May 13).(1955-2009):Retrieved 2021, from Folkarto-pedia: https://www.folkartope-dia.com/chano-devi-artist-god-na-painting-bihar-hindi-sk
- 5. Jha, A. K. (2021, Oct.). Mithila
- Paintings. (P. K. Jha, Interviewer)
- 6. Kumari, S. (2020, September 1). Madhubani Painting : Folk Art of India. Retrieved 2021, from ShilpWorld: https://shilp-world.de/madhubani-paint-ing-folk-art-of-india
- 7. Mishra, S. K. (2002). Mithila State : A Historical Fact. Patna: Savitri Publications.
- 8. Oberoi, J. (2012, Novem-ber). The Living Tradition of Mithila Paintings. Retrieved 2021, from The Saffronart Blog: https://blog.saffronart. com/2012/11/06/the-living-tra-dition-of-mithila-paintings
- 9. PaintandPaintings. (2020,August). Madhubani Painting. Retrieved 2021, from Paint and Paintings: https://www.paintandpainting.com/madhu-bani-painting